Jaggery is also known as ‘Gur’ in Hindi. Many people keep away from jaggery as its raw form is not very attractive. Jaggery is derived from concentrated raw sugarcane juice. However, it can also be made using different other sources like Nolen gur or date palm and coconut sap. There are a few jaggery disadvantages you should be aware of.
Though, it may be time to initiate making this food a normal part of your diet as it offers many necessary nutrients and is a helpful remedy for many diseases. It includes sugar in sucrose form and is used in many other food products as a sweetening agent. It is judged healthier than refined sugar as certain plant phytochemicals and minerals are conserved in it. Along with having many advantages it has some disadvantages too.
There are some Jaggery disadvantages which we will discuss today.
Some of the jaggery disadvantages are as follows-
Undoubtedly, Jaggery is nutritious, more nutritious then sugar can be, but it has its own sets of disadvantages as well. Various Side-effects of Jaggery are as follows:
- You might gain weight if you are eating lots of Jaggery, specifically lots of unrefined Jaggery for long period of time. And gaining weight is something which we want to avoid, so this forms one of the major side effects of Jaggery.
- Another disadvantage of eating Jaggery is that it increases the blood flow from the nose during summers, so it is advised not to eat it in large quantities.
- It is believed that Jaggery accelerates the swelling in your body if any part of your body is already swollen up. It is one of the harmful effects of Jaggery.
- According to Ayurveda, eating Jaggery and fish together can cause some serious side effects, so avoid eating them together.
- It is advised not to consume Jaggery if you are a diabetic patient, as Jaggery is a kind of sugar too and increases blood sugar levels. This is a major disadvantage of Eating Jaggery.
- Large-scale consumption of Jaggery can cause parasitic infections in your intestine. So minimize the use of Jaggery if you don’t want to pay a visit to the doctor soon.
- If you are suffering from ulcerative colitis then don’t consume Jaggery at all.
- If you are eating freshly prepared Jaggery then that is a major Jaggery disadvantage as it can cause indigestion in the stomach.
Jaggery calories content-
The jaggery calories content is very high 10 grams provides 38 calories. It contains about 97 percent sugar content and about 98 percent carbohydrates. As far as the other minerals are the concern, it also contains phosphorus, iron, and potassium and it contains is hardly impressive.It is also to be noted that the nutritional value of this unrefined sugar (Gur) does not satisfy the mineral and vitamin requirements of an individual. Besides those, the label does mention there are trace amounts of selenium and zinc present in it. Jaggery comes in colours ranging from dark brown to golden brown and consists of 20% invert sugars, 20% moisture, and 50% sucrose. Do you know about the number of calories in red wine? You can read about the wonderful jaggery benefits.
Review on Jaggery vs Sugar
Now we will discuss Jaggery vs sugar–
- Jaggery includes natural phytochemicals, which stimulates the digestion and helps in solving digestive problems. Lots of people in India use jaggery with black pepper to increase hunger. Sugar does not have this type of characteristic.
- You can use jaggery, ginger, and honey for getting relief from cold, cough and breathing problems. Sugar can get worse cough by rising in the making of phlegm.
- Both jaggery and sugar do not include many vitamins and minerals, but jaggery still keeps some minerals as judge against sugar.
- Jaggery is used in traditional Indian medicines for neurological and muscular problems. However, it may not have any medicinal importance, but it is used as the adjuvant with many of the folklore medicines.
- If you are suffering from a headache, then jaggery can help you for receiving relief from this.
- Jaggery contains 3% iron of 10 grams of daily value. It can be used to support additional medicines used for increasing the level of hemoglobin.
- Jaggery can also help you to stop hiccups. You can also take it by mixing with ginger juice to get relief from hiccup, nasal congestion, breathing troubles, and chest tightness.
- Jaggery is used to control blood pressure. Sugar does not have this quality. Pomelo fruit also control blood pressure.
- Jaggery also helps to reduce gas, bloating and flatulence.
Consuming Jaggery cause problems for diabetes patient-
It is believed by many people that Jaggery is the sugar you can turn to when you are diabetic and cannot eat the table sugar. But this belief is wrong if you think that Jaggery is your angel in disguise then think again!
Without any doubt Jaggery is nutritious than sugar, it contains many vital minerals which sugar lacks, such as iron and calcium. So, naturally Jaggery is healthier but when it comes to diabetes then any kind of sugar is harmful and Jaggery is essentially a sugar. It contains carbohydrates; just like sugar contains carbohydrates, so it is not easily metabolized which increases the blood sugar level, and this forms one of the most important Jaggery disadvantages. The glycemic content of Jaggery is very high, and if you are diagnosed with diabetes then your diet has to contain food which is low in Glycemic content. So, if you are planning to introduce Jaggery as a sugar substitute then know that Jaggery diabetes is an issue too.
Many people believe that replacing white sugar with jaggery can help them to control their blood sugar level, but this is a myth. The reason lies in the fact that, although complex, it still consists of a long form of sucrose. The diet of a diabetic person should be very low in the Glycemic index, hence jaggery is not at an option for them.
Every eatable has both advantages and disadvantages. They should only be consumed after knowing the pros and cons of them.
Stay healthy. Stay fit.