Bitter gourd benefits and Bitter Gourd Disadvantages
Bitter gourd is one of the most popular vegetables which is cultivated in throughout Asia and widely grown in India. It is known as bitter melon in the other parts of the world, and in India, it is known as “Karela”. It contains various nutrients and is also used for many medical purposes. There are a lot of bitter gourd benefits as well as disadvantages, and we will be discussing all of them in this article. Not only bitter gourd but bitter gourd juice benefits are also numerous.
Bitter gourd nutrition
Boosted with important nutrients, bitter gourd nutrition value is quite high and that is why it is considered such a beneficial vegetable. Here are the bitter gourd nutrition values:
- It provides only 17 calories per 100g and is rich in phytonutrients like dietary fiber, minerals, vitamins, and anti-oxidants.
- They contain insulin (phytonutrient, polypeptide-P) known to lower blood sugar levels.
- Bitter gourd is the good source of Niacin (vitamin B-3), Pantothenic acid (vit.B-5), Pyridoxine (vit.B-6) and minerals such as iron, zinc, potassium, manganese, and magnesium.
- They also contain vitamin-C (100g of raw pod provides about 140% of RDI). Vitamin-C, one of the powerful natural antioxidant, helps body scavenge deleterious free radicals one of the reasons for cancers development.
- Fresh pods are an excellent source of folates; contains about 72 mcg/100g (Provides 18% of RDA).
- It also contains health benefiting flavonoids such as beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthins. It also contains the good amount of vitamin A.
Read More- Benefits of cucumber water
Bitter Gourd Benefits
Firstly, we will discuss the Bitter gourd benefits:
- They help in maintaining blood sugar levels and are highly recommended to the type 2 diabetes patients.
- It is anti-inflammatory and also helps in lowering the bad cholesterol levels in the body.
- Bitter gourd benefits for skin as it is helpful for glowing skin and lustrous hair as well as protect the skin from the harmful UV rays.
- It is beneficial for the liver and Cures hangovers after too much alcohol in your system after a crazy night of the party.
- Bitter gourd benefits weight loss.
- It helps to maintain better healthy bladder.
- Bitter gourd fights against viruses and bacteria and strengthens your immune system.
- Bitter gourd is rich in vitamin A which is very beneficial for your eyes. Black pepper benefits also include various benefits for eyes.
Disadvantages of bitter gourd
While there are many bitter gourd benefits that make it a popular food, there are some disadvantages of bitter gourd that needs to be kept in mind:
- Combining bitter gourds with standard drugs can reduce blood sugar levels steeply. It may possibly result in dangerously low blood sugar levels which lead to death as well.
- Intake of bitter gourds for extended periods of time to control diabetes might induce liver inflammation. This probably one of the biggest disadvantages of butter gourd.
- Excessive quantity intake of bitter gourd can turn out to be a horror for pregnant women. The Same horror is with papaya seeds for pregnancy. Papaya seeds for abortion is the safest way though.
- It may results in Irregular Heart Rhythm after intake of bitter gourd.
- Seeds of the bitter gourd are very harmful to the children’s so think twice while feeding bitter gourd to the kids.
- Hypoglycemic coma is a state of coma which is caused due to extreme doses of injected insulin which are seen with the intake of bitter gourds.
- If you are suffering from Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase (G6PD) Deficiency and you consume bitter gourd, it will result in a headache, fever, stomach pain, and coma in certain people.