Prawns Health benefits
- Prawns Health benefits
- Prawns benefits
- 1. Prawns Health Benefits- Rich in nutrients
- 2. Prawns Health Benefits- Protein Source
- 3. Prawns Health Benefits- Enhances Skin Health
- 4. Prawns Health Benefits- Increases Immunity
- 5. Prawns Health Benefits- Low-Fat Content
- 6. Prawns Health Benefits- Helps to Lose Weight
- 7. Prawns Health Benefits- Source of Omega 3 fatty acids
- 8. Prawns Health Benefits- Source of Sodium
- 9. Prawns Health Benefits- Source of Selenium
- 10. Prawns Health Benefits- Improves the health of bones
- 11. Prawns Health Benefits- Promotes Sexual Health
- 12. Prawns Health Benefits- Keeps the Kidneys healthy
- Prawns side effects
- 1. Prawns side effects- High in Cholesterol
- 2. Prawns side effects- Toxic content
- 3. Prawns side effects- Destroys fishes
- 4. Prawns side effects- Extra Skin
- 5. Prawns side effects- Allergic
- 6. Prawns side effects- Contains sodium
Today we will talk about seafood, especially, Prawns and Prawns health benefits.
Prawns are one of the important types of seafood, which are consumed across the world. Prawns are highly rich in energy and low in fat. They are highly popular in western countries such as America and England. Only 2 percent of 90 percent prawns we eat are inspected by the American agencies.
Prawns are the members of a class of arthropods that live in water and are called Crustaceans. Crab, shrimp, and lobster all fall in the same category. Prawns appear same as shrimps but can only be distinguished by its gill structure which is branched.
Prawns can be found in different shapes and sizes, encased in a brittle shell. But generally, they have a narrow tapering body under which it has long curled tail and whiskery antennae. They are found in translucent or blue-grey and calm waters, where they can lay eggs on water plants. Prawns prefer warm water of tropic but few can be found in northern hemisphere too. They feed on nutrition particle present in water and can be seen on rocks or bed near the seafloor. Feeding on prawns is a common practice for humans but nobody knows about prawns nutritional benefit and prawns health benefits.
So, Are prawns good for you? Let us find out!
The prawns’ health benefits are-
1. Prawns Health Benefits- Rich in nutrients
Prawns are a low-fat source of protein. A 100 g serving of prawns or roughly 12 to 14 large prawns, or approximately eight prawns, contains 101 calories per serving, over 13 grams of protein and only 1.4 grams of total fat. A serving also contains potassium, calcium, and phosphorus and is a good source of vitamins E and A.
Prawns and shrimps are anatomically different but contain the same nutritional value. Prawns contain a high amount of proteins, vitamins, and minerals. These are the nutrients which we get from prawns and can refer to them as prawns nutrition. Prawns contain no carbohydrates and are low in calorie. It has a high content of cholesterol but also has omega 3 fatty acid.
Prawn nutrition help in the production of energy, the functioning of tissues, good heart health, and a healthy immune system. Prawns health benefits are many because of the nutrients found in it.
Read More- How to get rid of a pimple?
2. Prawns Health Benefits- Protein Source
In spite of the high cholesterol content of prawns, they are still a healthy protein source. Eating a minimum of 8 ounces of cooked seafood every week is recommended by the health experts. Eating other animal proteins, mainly ones that are high in saturated fats, such as red meat, along with prawns can help to decrease your saturated fat intake while still meeting your protein necessities for a healthy diet. We all know that Eggs are a very good source of protein.
Read More- Benefits of Cucumber Water
3. Prawns Health Benefits- Enhances Skin Health
The anti-oxidants present in the prawns helps to improve the skin health. It is rich in two vital minerals: zinc and selenium. If someone’s skin is too dry or oily, then Prawns are very beneficial for their skin. It also regulates the production of active white blood cells and helps in wound healing. Pomelo fruit is also helpful in wound healing.
4. Prawns Health Benefits- Increases Immunity
The high zinc level present in the prawns also improves the immune health. It treats the dead cells and tissue and improves the functioning of white blood cells. This is one of the many benefits of eating prawns.
Read more – Mushroom Benefits
5. Prawns Health Benefits- Low-Fat Content
One of the many Advantages of eating prawns is that it contains a very low amount of fat. 2-ounce serving prawns contain only 0.16 grams of fat, that’s why it is considered to be a very healthy choice of food. Also, it is suggested to consume prawns with fruits or vegetables.
6. Prawns Health Benefits- Helps to Lose Weight
Prawns contain a minimal amount of calories and fats as mentioned above, which makes it very healthy food, so you can eat it without worrying about putting on weight. This is another advantage of eating prawns.
7. Prawns Health Benefits- Source of Omega 3 fatty acids
Prawns are excellent Source of Omega 3 fatty acids. This fatty acid boosts body metabolism and improves the health of Brain. Prawns health benefits aren’t limited to just that, Prawns also helps to decrease the risk of high blood pressure and in turn, prevents heart attacks. Watermelon also takes good care of your blood pressure. (1)
8. Prawns Health Benefits- Source of Sodium
Another amazing Prawns health advantage is that it contains ample amount of Sodium which protects the body from heart diseases and hypertension.
9. Prawns Health Benefits- Source of Selenium
Selenium is an essential mineral which improves the health of cells and promotes the formation of antioxidants. This one of the essential advantages of eating prawns. (2)
10. Prawns Health Benefits- Improves the health of bones
The Prawns contains many important nutrients such as copper, phosphorus, and magnesium. These nutrients are very important in promoting the health of bones including bone structure and bone density. Prawn can prove to be very advantageous if consumed alongside dairy products.
11. Prawns Health Benefits- Promotes Sexual Health
Another Advantage of eating Prawns is that it improves the sexual health of men. According to Chinese traditions, prawns are eaten to improve the weakness of sexual libido in Men.
Read more- Benefits of Sex during pregnancy
12. Prawns Health Benefits- Keeps the Kidneys healthy
Prawns are known to cure problems related to functions of Kidneys.
So, now you know the answer to the Question of the day- Are prawns healthy?
Prawns side effects
Everything has both positive and negative effects, same is the case with prawns. And although its advantage makes us want to eat it, there are many side effects of prawns, you ought to know them before you take a decision. Most of the disadvantages of eating prawns are listed below, take a look-
1. Prawns side effects- High in Cholesterol
Like any other meat prawns also contain a high amount of cholesterol in it. Oz of prawn serving is equal to the daily limit of 200 gm of cholesterol. 152 milligrams of cholesterol per 100 gram serving of prawns, just two servings would put you daily diet over the recommended allowance of 300 milligrams of cholesterol, which can cause may cause heart diseases. If, you are suffering from any kind of heart problem than it is advised that you should avoid it. In case, if you still want to eat prawn than avoid any other cholesterol intake throughout the day.
Read More- Persimmon Benefits
2. Prawns side effects- Toxic content
Prawns include some toxic content such as dioxins, PCBs, and other banned chemicals, which is the major Disadvantage of eating prawns.
3. Prawns side effects- Destroys fishes
Farming the prawns is harmful to the other fishes as they are also fatal for fishes because they take 3 pounds of wild-caught fish to feed produce a single pound of farmed prawns.
Read More- How to lose weight fast without exercise?
4. Prawns side effects- Extra Skin
They contain an extra skin on them which is hard to digest and may also affect our digestive system. A Bad digestive system is another disadvantage of eating prawns.
5. Prawns side effects- Allergic
One of the main Prawns side effects is that it may also be allergenic to some people. It may cause the stomach problems as well as diarrhea. So people are recommended to eat prawns from trusted restaurants.
6. Prawns side effects- Contains sodium
Along with having so many health benefits, prawns are rich in sodium too. Intake of too much sodium can lead to osteoporosis, hypertension and heart diseases. If you are opting for consumption of prawn than avoid extra salt or even a little extra can increase these risks.
How to cook prawns?
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 15 mins
Tips before you start cooking your scrumptious Garlic Prawns:
1. Chop the cloves of garlic rather than mincing.
2. Marinate it for 20 minutes.
3. This recipe is for 2 servings as a main course.
- 300 g / 10 oz prawns (shrimp), peeled and deveined
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (separated)
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml dry white wine
- Salt and pepper as per taste
- 1/2 lemon, plus wedges to serve
- Finely chopped parsley, for garnish
1. Mix the prawns, garlic and 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil in a bowl, and let it marinate for 20 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a large pan on high flame. On arise of smoke, add the prawns and shake the pan to spread it in one single layer.
3. Turn, toss and cook for a minute.
4. Splash wine over the prawns and let it sizzle and bubble. Shake and cook for another one minute.
5. Let wine get evaporated and color of prawns will change from translucent to white/pink.
6. Add pepper and salt to taste while keeping in mind the salt feature of prawns.
7. Serve the prawns and squeeze lemon juice and dress your dish with chopped parsley and more olive oil.
This dish includes 363 kcal of Calories.
Now that we know all the prawns’ advantages and disadvantages, there is still one query which might be gnawing at your mind, Are prawns fattening?
The answer would be NO. Prawns are not at all fattening and contain less fat if compared to chicken. Being a good source of unsaturated fat your overall health gets improved. But yes, it is rich in protein and omega-3 fatty acid which aids in weight loss.
Prawns are a healthy option, and a must-add food to your diet chart, but be careful with their consumption.
Recommended Articles –